We can now officially announce that SLUMFIGHTERS international has been designated by the Dutch Tax Office as a Public Benefit Organisation (in Dutch: Algemeen Nut Beogende Instelling, or ANBI)!
The most important conditions are:
- The ANBI can not be a company with capital divided into shares, a cooperative, a mutual insurance society or another body that may issue participation certificates.
- At least 90% of the ANBIs efforts must be focused on the general good. The ANBI and the persons directly involved in the ANBI must comply with the integrity requirements.
- An ANBI director or person determining the policy may not treat the ANBI’s assets as personal assets. The assets must be segregated.
- An ANBI may not retain more assets than reasonably required for the institutions work. For this reason the ANBI’s assets must remain limited.
- The ANBI directors’ remuneration must be restricted to an expense allowance or a minimum attendance fee.
- An ANBI must possess an up-to-date policy plan.
- The ANBI’s costs must be in reasonable proportion to its expenditure.
- The ANBI funds remaining after dissolution must be allocated to a general good objective identical to the ANBI’s objective.
- An ANBI is governed by specific administrative obligation.
The benefit is that your donations are now tax-deductible in the Netherlands:
If in a calendar year the sum of someone’s gifts to ANBIs exceeds 1% of the Dutch threshold income, the excess, with a maximum of 10% of that income, is deductible income. Also the ANBI itself is exempted from inheritance tax and gift tax on inheritances and gifts it receives, except on those made under a condition such that it is not for public benefit.
All ANBIs are registered by the Foundation GeefGratis. Check out our page on: https://www.geef.nl/nl/doel/slumfighters-international/anbi